Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Collision / Movement / Camera tests

So relieved!

I'm not sure if you've ever tried to make a game. There are tons of tools, and lots of quality solo-made games coming out every day. If you haven't though, let me tell you a secret. It's all the little bits and pieces that are the biggest killers.

We can talk all day about big sweeping mechanics, and crazy radical changes, but it's the little shit that you don't even notice that are often of huge importance. When was the last time you played super mario? I'm talking the old school mario. Now, tell me about the camera system in that game, I bet that never even crossed your mind before. Why? Because it was implemented so well that you didn't even notice it. Or how responsive were the controls? Things like this slide under the radar most of the time, and that's good. But when one of those (seemingly) basic systems breaks, or fails (think about the camera stopping in mario, but your character just runs off the side) it completely destroys the game.

That's what makes these core systems so important, that they have to be invisible.

Anyways, enough rambling about core systems, I built this over my weekend. I realize this doesn't seem like much, yet. But getting these core systems down in a tool i just started using yesterday has been a big task. I lost sleep over it! 

This is the very first baby steps towards an eventual handheld mobile game. I won't spill too many details here, but I figured it would be worth sharing.

If you have anything to say about it, or any thoughts, or if something breaks, let me know. Leave a comment or email me or whatever.


Core movement/collision/camera systems should be mostly functional. 

You can run around and crash into stuff. yay!!!
  • Character should click to move. if you click a spot he will continuously try to move to that spot. (no icon yet)
  • Character can be controlled by holding left mouse and moving around, while button is held he will continually move to cursor. 
  • Collision with walls 
    • he will keep trying to get to your click-to-move location through the wall. 
  • Camera should follow with velocity, you shouldn't be able to outrun it, even if it looks like you will. :P
  • can zoom in / out with mwheel
    • impacts camera velocity. 
  • Health Regen exists, Hit E to take 10hp away from yourself 
    • Can't die yet, i know. 
  • Shouldn't have to say it, but I will. That's not art. Just random primitives I found in Unity. 
p.s. i know the camera can be odd when "settling in" after you stop moving. That's first on my list for tomorrow. :D 
The Title of Your Webpage

No comments:

Post a Comment