Thursday, June 18, 2009

Control Issues

Controllers have come a long way in the gaming industry. (you can check out an awesome controller family tree here) From the classic joystick of the Atari 2600 to the motion sensing wonders of today, control has always been an important piece of how we play our games.

This year's E3 gave us some interesting controllers from Sony and Microsoft (Microsoft's Natal and Sony's ....blinking... wandy... thingy). Jumping on the Nintendo bandwagon and trying to give us the next best method of playing games not with a controller, but with our bodies.This brings forth some interesting concerns.

Motion sensing technology is clearly doing very well in the markets. The Nintendo Wii is a hugely popular system that everyone and their dog seems to love. The system brings in a new level of approachability and natural game play that has brought new markets to gaming world. No longer are people intimidated by a device with hundred of confusing buttons on it. You just pick it up, and swing it like a tennis racket, and boom, you're playing. While Sony is seemingly playing catch up and pretty much mimicking the Wii, but with more precision and horsepower. Microsoft is trying to take this one step further, completely removing the controller element all together, but is the a turn for the better?

The natal has no controller at all, while that makes for a great presentation, how does that translate to real gaming? In the interview with Miyamoto, he states "As someone who thinks of things from the perspective of creating interactive experiences, I really think that you do need something. I don’t think as a creator that I could create an experience that truly feels interactive if you don’t have something to hold in your hand"

This is an angle that I don't think many people have looked at. In talking with all of my peers, I've only heard excitement concerning the natal, no concerns what-so-ever. I think this hinges heavily on what people want from their play experience. We've all seen the multitude of interactive software for the Wii, much of which has broadened gaming into many (somewhat) new areas. There are games that help you to work out now, there are games that help teach you to cook, help you learn new languages, or even teach you how to put on your make up (Hey, don't ask me, I saw it at Best Buy).

A controller often serves a double purpose in games. Not only does it give you a method of controlling what's going on, it also connects you with the system. The controller represents a very real connection between you and the world. You physically hold a piece of that world in your hands. The Wii uses this very well. When shooting a gun, flipping a frying pan, or even rolling dice, you have something in your hands at all times. It's very easy to feel connected with link as a marksman, when I have a physical object in my hand that acts as a bow and arrow. Without this device, I don't feel I'd get the same effect. It may not be a gun, or a hookshot, but I have something that acts as a frame of reference. How will I know what I am aiming if I don't have a something to aim? I feel like the full removal of a controller can actually hurt the immersion. I'm forced to rely solely on my sense of sight and sound to match up my movements and body with the environment. Losing the tactile representation could actually further disconnect me from the world. I suppose I could always just grab a shoe and swing it around?

With the new generation of gaming we are rethinking what makes "a game" and really pushing the boundaries of control. The input method of a game is crucial to the type of game your playing, and the experience you are providing. There are many types of experiences that simply will not work without some form of advanced control. No offense to my gamer brethren, but I feel comfortable betting that none of us are able to leap buildings in a single bound, or climb on ceilings effortlessly. These heavily action packed types of games don't translate very well to using full body motion control. As much as I love World of Warcraft, the idea of physically running from Orgrimmar to Silithus doesn't sound like "hours of fun!" to me.

I think the Natal will do very well. I can see it excelling in many areas and types of game play. There are huge numbers of possibilities where it could work wonderfully. I think simply navigating the xbox menu could be really interesting. Or the things I've heard about the netflix integration, or even a Wii fit competitor could all turn out to be amazing products. But when it comes to "Serious gaming" I don't expect it to shatter any molds. I love playing virtual sports games as much as the next guy, but when I'm slaughtering hordes of undead, scaling skyscrapers, or simply trying to enjoy a well told story, I don't want to break a sweat in the process.

Let's hope I'm wrong. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment